Apple's subscription based OS

mac

    Sponsored Links

    Next

  • 1. Opening .wmv files (Intel Mac)
    How can I open .wmv files on my Intel iMac? Will the "Pro" version of QuickTime Player do it? Is there an Intel-compatible plugin? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! earle *
  • 2. PowerBooks, heat and death
    Hello NG, I just want to tell you from my experiences with the broken machines on my table. I deal with and repair PowerBooks, so there where a lot. Perhaps ~ 100 over the last two years. I found that in 90% heat was the reason ( direct or indirect ) for the failure. That is something Apple should think about. If I now hear that the new MacBook gets 85 degree and more I can promise you it will live 2 years with normal use an not longer. The only thing you can do ( and have to do ) if you own a MacBook. Buy a AppleCare package for this machine. Florian
  • 3. cost of iMac vs. PC
    Does anyone know if Apple will be changing the case design of the Intel iMacs so that they can be more upgradable? I know that the initial G5 iMac can be opened and you can replace most of the components relatively easily. The new iMacs only leave the RAM accessible, however. Why is this? Why not let people buy components and upgrade their systems themselves? Thanks. -Kazem
  • 4. Need to put splitted files together???
    A friend sent me some .avi files but quicktime doesn't work with them individually. Is there an application to put these files together again? Or does anyone know of any tricks I can use within OSX that can do the same thing? The files end like this. .avi.001 .avi.002
  • 5. Newsgroups; How can you download more than three posts at a time?
    On many of the USENET newsgroups, my ISP (SBC Yahoo) limits me to three downloaded posts at a time. I get a beep and an error message for the fourth and later ones. Years ago when I was using AOL, they gave me a warning but I could download 10 or more easily. How can one get around this limitation.? I am using Entourage as my primary newsreader, but I can change that. Bill -- Ferme le Bush

Apple's subscription based OS

Postby Kevin McMurtrie » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:14:46 GMT

Microsoft shocked the computing industry when they said they wanted a 
subscription based OS.  Apple is doing exactly that and nobody even 
knows it.  The features you bought in one OS X version don't work until 
you buy the next.

For 10.0, 10.1, and now 10.2, paid upgrades are being released before 
the features shown on the box work correctly.  OS X is very buggy, and 
if any of those bugs hit you in your daily routine, you have an OS that 
doesn't work as advertised.

Remember how a paid update to 10.2 was required to get a stable Window 
Manager?  A buggy application can crash the 10.0 and 10.1 Window 
Manager, which then instantly kills all GUI applications.  Unsaved 
changes are lost.  The ads for OS X have always said that can't happen.

My 867MHz G4 has always had problems after waking from sleep.  A paid 
upgrade to 10.1 stopped the system hangs when the sound hardware failed 
to wake.  A paid upgrade to 10.2 was needed for the sound to to actually 
work after waking.  Throughout all of these upgrades, the motherboard 
Ethernet has not been reliable after waking.  10.2 helped but it still 
has cases where the carrier cycles on and off until the next time it is 
put to sleep.

AFP and SMB have always led to system hangs.  It barely worked enough in 
10.0 and 10.1 to mount a volume from a LAN.  File and folder locks were 
unbalanced.  Simply aborting one of three or more file copies created a 
locked directory that would hang any machine that looked at it.  A paid 
upgrade to 10.2 fixed system hangs due to unbalanced file locks but it 
still hangs the whole system if the connection to the remote volume is 
poor.  Combine this with a flakey motherboard Ethernet and you get 
nothing done.

Now there's this corrupted .DS_Store issue.  If you view a window in 
Finder containing files with incomplete resource forks, such as files 
being installed from a CD, it results in a directory that will crash any 
OS X machine upon viewing it.  It crashes the system even if it's on a 
disk image or a remote volume.  One has to delete the invisible 
.DS_Store files on the command line.  There are no other tools to fix it.

I've been doing hardware reboots of this so-called robust operating 
system like it was Windows NT4.  10.3 is almost out for sale and it 
looks like there's no chance in hell that 10.2 will be fixed to work as 
advertised.  I'm paying for upgrades to get the features I bought one or 
two versions ago.  It's funny how OS 9 still gets bug fixes.

Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby l » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:49:33 GMT

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,




For me, it only hangs the Finder. Which is of course also too much, but 
not as bad as Os 9. At least I can do something else while the Finder 
does whatever it (not) doing.


None that shipped with the system, perhaps, but a freeware app called 
Coctail can delete those.

.lauri

Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby gwbushnospam » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:26:26 GMT

Paying for periodic upgrades is not the same as a subscription-based OS.
A subscription expires. Jaguar does not (aside from any new software
which in the future might work with Panther).    


Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby Frederick Cheung » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:37:37 GMT



Charging for updates is not some crafty new practce that apple is sneaking
in. None of Windows 95, 98, Millenium, XP were
free updates (and windows 98 SE might have being a paying update too).
OS 9 wasn't a free update, not was 8.5 or 8 or 7.5 or 7.

Software isn't always free. 10.1 was free because it really should have
been 10.0  but apple couldn't afford to let that deadline slip. Each of
10.2 and 10.3 represent about a year of work, which doesn't come cheap.

Fred


Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby David Magda » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 05:14:41 GMT

Kevin McMurtrie < XXXX@XXXXX.COM > writes:


First, with MS you *have* to upgrade: your license (under the new
regime) expires after several years and you are no longer legally
entitled to use the software.

Second, with OS X, you can use your copy as long as you like: there
is no requirement to upgrade to newer versions.

Lastly, I should follow my own advice and...

             +-------------------+             .:\:\:/:/:.
             |   PLEASE DO NOT   |            :.:\:\:/:/:.:
             |  FEED THE TROLLS  |           :=.' -   - '.=:
             |                   |           '=(\ 9   9 /)='
             |   Thank you,      |              (  (_)  )
             |       Management  |              /`-vvv-'\
             +-------------------+             /         \
                     |  |        @@@          / /|,,,,,|\ \
                     |  |        @@@         /_//  /^\  \\_\
       @x@@x@        |  |         |/         WW(  (   )  )WW
       \||||/        |  |        \|           __\,,\ /,,/__
        \||/         |  |         |      jgs (______Y______)
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
 =====================================================================

Source:
 http://www.**--****.com/ 




-- 
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>,  http://www.**--****.com/ 
Because the innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under
the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well 
under the new. -- Niccolo Machiavelli, _The Prince_, Chapter VI

Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby Kevin McMurtrie » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 06:21:02 GMT

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,




I'm not trolling.  I've been using Apples since about 1982.  I've even 
had them at work as software development systems.

You say I can use my copy of MacOS X as long as I'd like.   That's not 
entirely true.  Several important features in 10.2 haven't worked since 
it was purchased and it appears that Apple will never fix them.

The public's expectations of quality have gone to hell.  First we 
lowered our expectations by paying money for a buggy product as long as 
free fixes came later.  Now we're buying buggy products that won't be 
fixed.

10.3 has some new features that I really look forward to.  The new 
development environment looks promising.  I just worry how many of those 
new features won't work until I pay for 10.4.

Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby Steven Fisher » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 06:45:13 GMT




Have you ever used a program of significant size where everything worked?

Just look at GraphicConverter's release notes. I have nothing against GC 
in particular, in fact the opposite is true. Unlike many developers, the 
author includes detailed release notes. Check out how many problems are 
fixed with each release.

Jaguar basically works. Certain areas might need a bit more of a helping 
hand than others, but that's life.


Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby gwbushnospam » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 06:46:38 GMT




Troll.

Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby pack » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 08:03:43 GMT

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,



.....

But were these MacIntosh or Gala or Cameo or Rome or ....?
Did you peel and core them before using them?


I can't think of an operating system where this is not true. These
specific problems seem to plague you much more than others, possibly
because you really have an inherent hardware problem.


Witness the success of Windows.


The key to happiness in many areas of life is diminished expectations.
Try it. You'll be pleasantly surprised by respiration. Dazzled by basic
bodily functions.



You may be a candidate for linux. Then you are free to fix/modify whatever you wish.
And the price is right.

-- 
Daniel Packman
NCAR/ACD
 XXXX@XXXXX.COM 

Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby Kevin McMurtrie » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:33:17 GMT

In article <be2cof$qo9$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,





A Quadra 840av, PowerMac 6100, PowerMac 8100av, Mac IIfx, Mac IIci, Mac 
LC III, various Centris, various Performas, various Powerbooks, and a 
B&W G3.  I'm a software developer for MacOS and Java.


OS 9.2 may be old but, as far as I've seen, it does everything it claims 
to do.  Apple is still releasing free bug fixes for OS 9.2.  I haven't 
had problems with Sun either.  Why is it that suddenly OS X versions 
become unmaintained before they're complete?



What if I only wanted to mount the big RAID from pixelmemory.us on my 
desktop?  It has my photos, my music, and my archives.  That would still 
cause my desktop to eventually lock up dead after waking from sleep.


My personal server, pixelmemory.us, uses OS X patched up with open 
source UNIX software.  For the specific task of serving it runs nicely.  
The same idea won't apply to my G4.  Getting open source software to 
integrate with Apple's custom flavor of UNIX is very difficult.

Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby Steven Fisher » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 18:04:45 GMT




The bug fix update to Mac OS 9.2 was in 2001.


Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby Keith Whaley » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 21:03:14 GMT





[...]


It does?
I currently work with 9.2.1 quite well, and have avoided 9.2.2 because I
am given to understand it's only useful (for some reason) if you have or
intend to get OS X.
Is/are there other OS 9.x.x bug fixes?

keith whaley

Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby gwbushnospam » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 21:32:31 GMT




Because he claims to be a Mac developer, yet doesn't comprehend that
OSes are never perfected, and therefore concludes that upgrades prices
are by definition "subscription based OSes."

Riigghhtt.


Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby seebs » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 02:31:11 GMT

In article <1fxkd3y.1q1d249txvgowN% XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,



I don't think you're correct, here.  I think he understands that OSes are
never perfected.  On the other hand, it wasn't until OS 10.2 that I could
print to custom paper sizes from my Mac, and I still haven't been able to
get it to work correctly with #9 envelopes.  Custom paper sizes strike me
as core functionality that ought to have been in 10.1 at the very very latest.

I'd tend to agree that Apple is screwing some people by bundling necessary
fixes to get advertised features to work with new features.  I should be
able to get a *fixed* 10.2, without paying to upgrade to 10.3.

-s
-- 
   Copyright 2003, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach /  XXXX@XXXXX.COM 
    http://www.**--****.com/ ://www.seebs.net/ - homepage.
     C/Unix wizard, pro-commerce radical, spam fighter.  Boycott Spamazon!
Consulting, computers, web hosting, and shell access:  http://www.**--****.com/ 

Re: Apple's subscription based OS

Postby Thomas Beck » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 02:47:25 GMT




that's bull. support ends, not the license to use the software.

with Apple, once 10.2 came out, if you didn't upgrade you could not use any
program or version released afterwards, since they all required 10.2. Not
exclusively Apple programs, also others. Apple's motivation was to make us
buy the new OS, the other developers were just lazy to test the programs
under both systems.

I'm very confident, once 10.3 is released, you can either freeze the list of
software you use, forever, because there'll be no new programs for you to
use, or you'll have to upgrade within a few months if there's just one new
programm you'll need.

At least software for Windows usually runs on versions of Windows several
years old, not just one year.

Similar Threads:

1.Steve Jobs used Atari OS to base Apples OS

Steve Paul Jobs
Born 1955 Los Altos CA; Evangelic bad boy who, with Steve Wozniak, 
co-founded Apple Computer Corporation and became a multimillionaire before 
the age of 30. Subsequently started the NeXT Corporation to provide an 
educational system at a reasonable price, but found that software was a 
better seller than hardware.
Educ: Ungraduated, Physics, literature, and poetry, Reed College, OR; Prof. 
Exp: Atari Corporation; Apple Corporation; NeXT Corporation.

Going to work for Atari after leaving Reed College, Jobs renewed his 
friendship with Steve Wozniak. The two designed computer games for Atari and 
a telephone


2.Apple to offer iTunes subscription service??

3.Apple could have a subscription iTunes at a flick of a switch

4.Apples stops them (was music subscription service...)

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
 Tim McNamara < XXXX@XXXXX.COM > wrote:

> > the Rhapsody player does not exist for the mac; let me guess, this is 
> > APPLE's doing, right??  I'm sure Rhapsody would be thrilled to offer 
> > a player for mac users if Apple let them...
> 
> Just how do you think that Apple would be able to stop them?

Actually, this relates toa myth I have heard quite commonly among a 
number of Windows users/fanatics, and I have no idea where this 
misconception comes from, and I have had little success convincing such 
people otherwise.  A little history on this concept.

The first computer companies to try to enforce this concept were Atari 
and Texas Instruments.  Atari had a big platform with the VCS, and they 
wanted to be the only game developer for that machine.  Then some of 
their own broke off and started own software developer, Activision.  
Atari sued to block them, and lost.  Atari abandoned ideals of 
preventing third parties from making software for the Atari 8-bit.

Texas Instruments developed their own software engine for cartridges on 
the TI-99, and subsystem called GPL (Graphics Programming Language).  
They mandated that all carts must be produced in GPL to run on the 
TI-99.  Other companies (ultimately including Atarisoft [go figure]) 
found ways to get carts to play without GPL, and since such games were 
written directly in machine code, they usually played better.  TI sued 
to block them and lost.  So TI revised the hardware (in the beige 
consoles) to reject any cart that did not have their proprietary GROM 
technology.  Counter lawsuits from customers rose and quickly TI 
recognized that they were in a position to lose a lot of money.  Rather 
than reopen their system, they chose to abandon the home computer market 
completely.  (There were other factors that added into their assessment, 
but this wave of lawsuits hit at a time to help tip the scales.)

In the eras starting with the NES, game consoles have had various 
software technologies to try and block unauthorized software from being 
played on their respective machines.  Prior to DRM legislation, these 
softwares had limited legal protection, and with the exception of the 
Atari Jaguar, little success (the Jag worked because the market base was 
too small to be worthwhile; it has since become publicly open for the 
orphaned homebrewer market).

Under current DRM application, such software blocks are supported 
because they prevent piracy of software, with the side benefit of 
exclusivity.  But as technologies go orphan, the library of congress has 
the authorization to rule such blocked dismissed.  The reason to permit 
dismissal is intended to allow historical preservation when the 
originator does not wish to put forth his/her own effort.  The fact that 
it would permit piracy is disregarded because there would be to few 
people doing so to make is a concern to the software's creator (if there 
was enough market place, the originator can, at any time, renew 
production and distribution, and regain exclusivity).

That is in regards to video games.  In the world of computers, 
programming is wide open, what with floppies, Bernoulli drives, Syquest 
drives, zip drives, CDs, DVDs and hard drives ranging into the Terabytes 
and beyond, it would be impractical for any computer company to want to 
control who develops for their machines.  And based on case law, they 
couldn't, anyway.

As to the concept of Apple restricting any software development or 
distribution, that would be counterproductive to what they want, which 
is reasons for potential customers to want to buy Macs.  As to 
restricting the iPhone the way they do, the jury is still out, but based 
on this month's surpassing of the iPhone by the Curve, a change in 
marketing may come about, and that will have more impact than lawsuits 
seem to these days.  As to paying Apple a cut to market through iTunes 
to the iPhone for their apps, that's similar to the model of many 
musician paying a percentage to have a company sell their music, be it 
CD, LP or MP3.  Some people want a way around that, which is 
understandable, and selling to jailbroke customers is an option, but it 
is too limited for most to be worth it.

jt

5.Apple to Consider iTunes Subscriptions?

6. Apple anti-virus subscription service

7. Apple's Pocket-Size Base Station

8. An In-Depth Review of Apple's 802.11n AirPort Extreme Base Station



Return to mac

 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guest